Friday, April 10, 2009

MULTITASKING DEPRESSION - TODAYS' WOMEN SUFFER

It is so easy to take the woman's lot in life as just the way it is and what is expected. This is not just men who fall into this way of thinking but whole societies and for centuries.
I think the tipping of this idea into what has become a disaster of overwork for many women is that they are now also wage earners with jobs that eat away many hours every day. On top of their daily house routines this adds between 5 to 8 hours to many womens work day. So we invent the word multitasking as how women try to manage their day. With so many tasks to perform and so many expectations from their families many women sink under the load and depression is the result. Lets face it we all want to succeed in life and for the family woman it is most often unrewarded and just the way it should be. How to deal with this has been a constant quest since the early 50s and the medical/pharmaceutical cartel have responded with antidepressants. Valium and a plethora of other drugs trumpeted through our TVs have paraded as to how to deal with this emotional burden and women desperate for some relief have been the unlucky recipients of these drugs that lead to addiction, and often disastrous side effects and even suicide. When I made my first Hollywood Survival Kit one of the remedies I put in it was coffea cruda. Made from the raw coffee bean by diluting in water and agitating the water between each dilution until no solid coffee material is left but only some energy memory of the coffee, coffea cruda is the remedy for the overactive mind. "Like treats like" and coffee surely makes us overactive and coffea cruda certainly settles us down. I put it in my kit for so many workers in film have trouble sleeping at night because they cannot turn off. The pressure to perform perfectly is stressful and the adrenaline rush of 12 or 14 hours of concentrated work leaves the worker exhausted yet mentally still very active either reviewing the day or planning the next. I found through years of use that coffea will help the mind settle down and then sleep will come easily. This was my first and strongest use for coffea and so I put it in my kit as a great helper. It not only gets people mentally relaxed enough to sleep, it has no side effects like many of the sleeping pills on the market today. It does not alter the emotional state in any negative way at all. So one wakes up refreshed and raring to do the day. I was going on a woman's show for the Shopping Channel and I asked my daughter in law who is a doctor dealing with many women patients which remedy women should hear about. Without hesitation she said Coffea Cruda. Of all the problems she deals with depression due to multitasking failure and sleeplessness due to not being able to turn off is rampant amongst women patients and the pharmaceutical responses to these problems are not healthy. But in the daytime could coffea help was my question. Sure it works at night but how can it help in the daytime? Well it settles the mind down and instead of being rattled and not knowing what to do first and getting depressed it helps the mind slow down and bring some order to the tasks. I remember a very good and senior gaffer(Chief electrician) coming to me one day on a student film. "John I have so much to do I don't know where to start. Do you have something for that?" He said with a laugh. Sure I am answered and gave him a globule of coffea. About 5 minutes later he came by me with his arms full of extension cords and stopped long enough to say. "Wow that stuff is great. I can't tell you how much better I feel. Thanks!" And with that he hustled off happy, productive and orderly. Coffea Cruda can be a hero for anyone who is swamped with chores and does not know what to do first. It is a little miracle.
--

No comments:

Post a Comment